Thursday, October 2, 2014

Indoor Herb Garden! Perfect for fall soups

Fall is here!  Well almost, here in Tennessee is still 80 degrees but I am ready for sweaters, pumpkins, and soups.  With the cold weather comes a dip of fresh produce availability.  Since it is already October I am past the point of growing my own veggies but herbs? 
That is a different story.  I have an empty kitchen window seal  just asking for a few planters.  


Since I am a first time planter I needed something that would live through my learning curve. I chose to plant parsley, mint, and basil, keep it simple right?  
  • Mint:  Mint grows very quickly and can take over a garden before you can even blink.  Planting this herb in a container was the safest solution for all my other plants.  I cut a twig off a friends plant and stuck it in some dirt.  This has been the easiest and most low maintenance herb of the three. I wasn't sure what I was going to use it for this fall, but I think it will make a great garnish to a cup of tea. 
  • Parsley:  This herb grows really well in full sunlight.  Mine practically grows directly into the window.  Parsley is great for any winter soup.  It is the hardest of the three for me to grow.  It struggles to get adequate sunlight and it always gets wilty and yellow on me if I over water it just a smidgen.
  • Basil:  Basil is by far my favorite!  I use it for lasagna, spaghetti sauces, caprices salads,  it is an all around multipurpose herb.  These also drop seeds once it has reached maturity.  I grew mine from a handful of seeds I grabbed from my Grandmother's plant.  
So far mine have grown really well and will hopefully continue throughout the winter. Maybe by spring time I'll be ready to grow a full garden. When it comes to gardening my herbs have reminded me to keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment